- Fraud prevention startup NS8 implodes as SEC investigates them for.... fraud
- Memo to Robinhood traders: "Bankruptcy" usually means the equity gets wiped out
- Thematic next-wave portfolio constructor Motif goes bust
- Siri: What is a "Unicorn circle jerk"?
- AirBnB Pivots to "Virtual Experiences", Lands $1 Billion Down Round
Motif trading platform, which claimed to use data driven methodologies to enable the creation of thematic and “next-wave” portfolios (translation: they grep 10Q’s for keywords) has rather abruptly shut down.
Their own advisors heard about it via Twitter.
Yes, it did come with %FIRSTNANE%, who cares I guess… pic.twitter.com/3IuwpuBJQG
— Hylland Capital (@HyllandCapital) April 18, 2020
They also had developed some “next generation thematic ETFs” like “human evolution reimagined” (SPTX), which were launched by Goldman Sachs.
Motif has vaporized raised 138M over 6 rounds.
Maybe for their closing act they could create an inverse ETF called “Reimagining Bear markets”, include every VC-powered fluff job that had no business being funded let alone publicly traded, add themselves and the rest of their “thematic ETFs” with a triple weighting, and then disappear into their own nequity.